Will my license be suspended if I refuse to blow into the PBT during a DUI stop?
In Arizona if you are suspected of DUI the police will often ask you to blow into a PBT (Preliminary Breath Test.) I highly recommend that you refuse this test and ask to speak to an attorney.
The PBT test is not admissible in court as it is only used by the police to obtain probable cause to arrest you. Your license will not be suspended if you refuse to blow into a PBT.
Many people confuse the PBT with the blood/breath test administered after a person is arrested. Please note that if you do not give breath/blood after a DUI arrest when you are back at the station your license will be suspended for one year. However, before you submit to the blood/breath test always ask for a confidential phone call with a lawyer.
What should I do if I’ve been pulled over by a cop?
- Answer the officer when he wants your personal information and license.
- If an officer asks a question about drinking ask for a lawyer and don’t answer.
- The officer will ask you to get out of the car. You must comply.
- The officer will ask if he can look at your eyes. He will ask you to follow his pen. Ask for your lawyer and respectfully refuse the test.
- The officer will ask you to balance on one leg. Ask for your lawyer and respectfully refuse the test.
- The officer will ask for you to walk a straight line. Ask for your lawyer and respectfully refuse the test.
- The officer will ask you to blow into his portable breath machine (PBT). The officer will pull this out of his car or trunk. Ask for your lawyer and respectfully refuse the test.
- The officer will probably arrest you because he will say he could smell the odor of alcohol, he noticed bloodshot and watery eyes, voice was slurred, and he saw you swerve. There is no need to help him more by doing the tests.
- The officer will take you back to the station and want your blood. There is something in Arizona called Admin Per Se. If you give the blood your license will be suspended for 90 days. If you refuse to give blood your license will be revoked for one year. Ask to speak with your lawyer immediately. If you refuse the police will simply call a judge, get a warrant, hold you down, and take your blood by force.
- Always demand an independent blood test.
If you have been arrested for DUI contact Phoenix DUI Lawyer Aaron Black or call 480-729-1683 for a free consultation.