Underage drinking in Phoenix
Arizona Revised Statute 4-244(34) makes it illegal for a person under twenty-one years of age to drive or be in physical control of a motor vehicle while there is any spirituous liquor in the person's body. The exception to the law is when alcohol is given to a minor for legitimate religious purposes such as communal wine, or for medical purposes.
Class 2 misdemeanor underage drinking penalties
- A citation will be issued
- Possible jail time with the prospect of serving up to four months
- Fines of up to $750
- If you are convicted of underage drinking you will have a criminal record that will be visible to entities such as employers or colleges for admission.
- You may be offered the option to attend a diversion program. If you agree to a diversion program you will have to attend classes on alcohol abuse and you may be ordered to pay certain court fees. If you are offered and agree to a diversion program, after completion of the program the criminal conviction will be dropped from your record.
Class 1 misdemeanor for using a fake ID to buy alcohol
- Possible jail time with the prospect of serving up to six months
- Fines up to $2500
- Revocation of driver’s license (up to 6 months)