Plea bargaining in Phoenix, AZ
Before agreeing to a plea bargain it is essential that you consult an experienced Criminal Defense Attorney as not all plea offers are fair.
Benefits of Plea bargains
- Less severe penalties such as reduced jail time
- Dismissal of additional charges
- Reduction from a felony to a misdemeanor charge
Plea Agreement AspectsThe strength of the Prosecutors case is a significant factor in a plea bargain. A plea bargain for a lesser charge can only be done if the state has insufficient legal or factual basis for the DUI charge. (ARS 28-1387(I))
Aspects of your case that a Prosecutor will consider include the following.
- Is there sufficient evidence?
- Were there any Witnesses to the crime?
- Is the Victim unwilling to testify?
Experience mattersChoosing the best Criminal Defense Attorney to defend you is one of the most critical aspects of protecting your freedom. Choosing an experienced attorney requires a great deal of work on your part but in the end, the time spent researching will be to your benefit.
- Research Criminal Defense Lawyers Online. Many reputable sites such as AVVO.com, NOLO.com, and SuperLawyers.com can offer insight to their experience and capabilities.
- Call several attorneys to check out their fees and get a feel for their willingness to help you minimize the penalties and fees involved in your case
- Have a consultation with the Criminal Defense Lawyer. Most lawyers offer a free initial consultation to go over the details of your case
- Hire an experienced Lawyer who has in-depth knowledge of the laws in Phoenix
- Research whether or not the attorney is an active member of respected Criminal Defense Organizations such as NACDL (National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers) and AACJ (Arizona Association for Criminal Justice).
- Ask how many cases they have handled and if they have Jury Trial experience should it be necessary.