Plea bargaining in Phoenix, AZ
Before agreeing to a plea bargain it is essential that you consult an experienced Criminal Defense Attorney as not all plea offers are fair.
Benefits of Plea bargains
- Less severe penalties such as reduced jail time
- Dismissal of additional charges
- Reduction from a felony to a misdemeanor charge
Plea Agreement AspectsThe strength of the Prosecutors case is a significant factor in a plea bargain. A plea bargain for a lesser charge can only be done if the state has insufficient legal or factual basis for the DUI charge. (ARS 28-1387(I))
Aspects of your case that a Prosecutor will consider include the following.
- Is there sufficient evidence?
- Were there any Witnesses to the crime?
- Is the Victim unwilling to testify?
Experience mattersChoosing the best Criminal Defense Attorney to defend you is one of the most critical aspects of protecting your freedom. Choosing an experienced attorney requires a great deal of work on your part but in the end, the time spent researching will be to your benefit.
- Research Criminal Defense Lawyers Online. Many reputable sites such as AVVO.com, NOLO.com, and SuperLawyers.com can offer insight to their experience and capabilities.
- Call several attorneys to check out their fees and get a feel for their willingness to help you minimize the penalties and fees involved in your case
- Have a consultation with the Criminal Defense Lawyer. Most lawyers offer a free initial consultation to go over the details of your case
- Hire an experienced Lawyer who has in-depth knowledge of the laws in Phoenix
- Research whether or not the attorney is an active member of respected Criminal Defense Organizations such as NACDL (National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers) and AACJ (Arizona Association for Criminal Justice).
- Ask how many cases they have handled and if they have Jury Trial experience should it be necessary.
About the Author
Aaron Black is the founder and sole attorney of the Law Office of Aaron Black. Located in Phoenix, Arizona, his DUI and criminal defense law firm provides legal services to people who have received felony or misdemeanor charges from the state.Aaron has developed a strong interest in defending people who have been arrested and received criminal charges for driving under the influence. With his professionalism and knowledge of Arizona DUI and criminal law, he has acted as a check and balance on the police, prosecution and courts and has protected a great number of his clients from excessive and unfair sentencing.
Along with DUI defense, Aaron handles a range of other criminal matters, including aggravated assault, burglary, domestic violence, drug possession, drug trafficking, fraud defense, insurance fraud, sex crimes and white-collar crime.
After graduating college in 2003 from the University of Arizona, Aaron decided to pursue a law degree. He followed a family long tradition and went to the University of South Dakota School of Law where he pursued his goal of becoming a criminal defense lawyer.
After passing the Arizona and South Dakota bar exams, Aaron joined the Maricopa County Office of the Public Defender where he defended hundreds of people charged with serious criminal offenses. His work as a public defender helped him sharpen his litigation skills and gave him a unique insight into the Arizona criminal justice system.
Over the course of his 15-year legal career, Aaron has spent a considerable amount of time in both Arizona justice, municipal, state and federal courts. He has argued over 50 jury trials, tried over 100 bench trials and has become one of the highest-rated criminal and DUI defense attorneys in Phoenix and the surrounding areas. He has received a 10/10 rating from the legal directory Avvo because of his legal background and successful case record. Since 2014, he has received the Super Lawyer rating for his work as a Phoenix DUI and criminal defense attorney.
You can review Aaron’s Attorney Bio page for more information about his background, education and experience as a Phoenix DUI and criminal defense attorney.