If I plan on pleading guilty to my DUI charge do I need a lawyer?
Even if you plan to plead guilty, a DUI lawyer may be of help to you. A Phoenix DUI Lawyer may help improve the outcome of your case, reduce the fines, and reduce jail time. In short an experienced DUI Lawyer will help defend your constitutional rights and potentially have your charges reduced or dropped based on the evidence.
You must view hiring a DUI and Criminal Defense Lawyer as an investment. Many cases do not have to end with extreme amounts of jail and fines.
What can a lawyer do for my DUI case?
- They can determine if any of your rights were violated. Such as
- Did you ask for an attorney and were you provided to opportunity to get one?
- Were your Miranda Rights read?
- Did you ask for an independent blood sample?
They will examine the blood results as there is more to the blood results than just the reading them. Your blood is tested with 60 other blood samples. An experienced DUI Defense Lawyer will read the blood reports to determine if there was contamination and/or false readings.
A DUI Defense Lawyer will investigate how the police officer stopped you. Was this a legal stop? If the stop was not legal there is a chance your case can be dismissed.
What should I do if I’m arrested for a DUI?If you are arrested for DUI your initial responses can mean all the difference to your case.
- Always be polite to the Police Officer
- When asked respectfully provide the Officer your license, registration and insurance
- Comply with the Officer if you are asked to step out of the vehicle
- Immediately invoke your 5th Amendment Right to remain silent if the officer asks you if you have been drinking
- Without delay request a lawyer
- Graciously refuse all field sobriety tests (the eye test, walk & turn and 1 leg stand)
- Respectfully refuse the PBT (Portable breathalyzer Test) The PBT is a small breath machine carried by the officer which can be administered on the side of the road. Contrary to popular belief your license will not be suspended for refusing this test
About the Author
Aaron Black is the founder and sole attorney of the Law Office of Aaron Black. Located in Phoenix, Arizona, his DUI and criminal defense law firm provides legal services to people who have received felony or misdemeanor charges from the state.Aaron has developed a strong interest in defending people who have been arrested and received criminal charges for driving under the influence. With his professionalism and knowledge of Arizona DUI and criminal law, he has acted as a check and balance on the police, prosecution and courts and has protected a great number of his clients from excessive and unfair sentencing.
Along with DUI defense, Aaron handles a range of other criminal matters, including aggravated assault, burglary, domestic violence, drug possession, drug trafficking, fraud defense, insurance fraud, sex crimes and white-collar crime.
After graduating college in 2003 from the University of Arizona, Aaron decided to pursue a law degree. He followed a family long tradition and went to the University of South Dakota School of Law where he pursued his goal of becoming a criminal defense lawyer.
After passing the Arizona and South Dakota bar exams, Aaron joined the Maricopa County Office of the Public Defender where he defended hundreds of people charged with serious criminal offenses. His work as a public defender helped him sharpen his litigation skills and gave him a unique insight into the Arizona criminal justice system.
Over the course of his 15-year legal career, Aaron has spent a considerable amount of time in both Arizona justice, municipal, state and federal courts. He has argued over 50 jury trials, tried over 100 bench trials and has become one of the highest-rated criminal and DUI defense attorneys in Phoenix and the surrounding areas. He has received a 10/10 rating from the legal directory Avvo because of his legal background and successful case record. Since 2014, he has received the Super Lawyer rating for his work as a Phoenix DUI and criminal defense attorney.
You can review Aaron’s Attorney Bio page for more information about his background, education and experience as a Phoenix DUI and criminal defense attorney.