DUI Taskforce is in full swing at the Waste Management Phoenix Open
If you are planning to attend the tournament this weekend and expect to have a few cocktails, you are encouraged to find an alternate method of transportation. I encourage you to utilize ride-sharing services such as Lyft or Uber of course if you can find a designated driver that's a great alternative as well.
With a record number of arrests in 2018 and Arizona’s harsh penalties for a DUI, I encourage you to take drinking and driving after the event very seriously.
1st Time Misdemeanor Driving Under the Influence (under .15 BAC)
- Minimum jail 10 days jail, but 9 may be suspended
- Maximum Jail – 6 months
$500 Prison Fund
$500 Public Safety Equip. Fund
$20 Time Pay Fee
$20 Probation Fee
- 90-day License Suspension
- Possible Probation up to 5 years
- Alcohol / Drug Screening & Classes
- Possible community service
- Pay for jail incarceration
- Possible monthly probation fees
- Possible SR22 insurance
- 1-year Ignition interlock (6 months beginning January 1, 2012)
What should I do if I'm arrested for a DUI?
- Always be civil with the officer
- When asked, respectfully provide your license, registration, and insurance. Refusal to do so will only make matters worse.
- Obey the Officer if asked to step out of your vehicle
- If the officer asks you if you have been drinking, invoke your 5th Amendment Right and immediately ask to speak to an attorney. Your 5th amendment right is the right to remain silent
- Politely refuse all field sobriety tests such as the eye test, the walk & turn, and the one leg stand
- When asked, refuse the preliminary breath test (PBT). The PBT is a small breath machine that is carried by officers that can be administered on the side of the road. Contrary to popular belief, your license cannot be suspended if you refuse the PBT.
Free legal consultationShould you find yourself in need of legal assistance after attending the Waste Management Open, the Law Office of Aaron Black will be available 24 hours a day.
Contact Phoenix, AZ Criminal, DUI Defense Attorney Aaron Black for a free legal consultation at (480)729-1683.
About the Author
Aaron Black is the founder and sole attorney of the Law Office of Aaron Black. Located in Phoenix, Arizona, his DUI and criminal defense law firm provides legal services to people who have received felony or misdemeanor charges from the state.Aaron has developed a strong interest in defending people who have been arrested and received criminal charges for driving under the influence. With his professionalism and knowledge of Arizona DUI and criminal law, he has acted as a check and balance on the police, prosecution and courts and has protected a great number of his clients from excessive and unfair sentencing.
Along with DUI defense, Aaron handles a range of other criminal matters, including aggravated assault, burglary, domestic violence, drug possession, drug trafficking, fraud defense, insurance fraud, sex crimes and white-collar crime.
After graduating college in 2003 from the University of Arizona, Aaron decided to pursue a law degree. He followed a family long tradition and went to the University of South Dakota School of Law where he pursued his goal of becoming a criminal defense lawyer.
After passing the Arizona and South Dakota bar exams, Aaron joined the Maricopa County Office of the Public Defender where he defended hundreds of people charged with serious criminal offenses. His work as a public defender helped him sharpen his litigation skills and gave him a unique insight into the Arizona criminal justice system.
Over the course of his 15-year legal career, Aaron has spent a considerable amount of time in both Arizona justice, municipal, state and federal courts. He has argued over 50 jury trials, tried over 100 bench trials and has become one of the highest-rated criminal and DUI defense attorneys in Phoenix and the surrounding areas. He has received a 10/10 rating from the legal directory Avvo because of his legal background and successful case record. Since 2014, he has received the Super Lawyer rating for his work as a Phoenix DUI and criminal defense attorney.
You can review Aaron’s Attorney Bio page for more information about his background, education and experience as a Phoenix DUI and criminal defense attorney.