DUI Taskforce is in full swing at the Waste Management Phoenix Open
If you are planning to attend the tournament this weekend and expect to have a few cocktails, you are encouraged to find an alternate method of transportation. I encourage you to utilize ride-sharing services such as Lyft or Uber of course if you can find a designated driver that's a great alternative as well.
With a record number of arrests in 2018 and Arizona’s harsh penalties for a DUI, I encourage you to take drinking and driving after the event very seriously.
1st Time Misdemeanor Driving Under the Influence (under .15 BAC)
- Minimum jail 10 days jail, but 9 may be suspended
- Maximum Jail – 6 months
$500 Prison Fund
$500 Public Safety Equip. Fund
$20 Time Pay Fee
$20 Probation Fee
- 90-day License Suspension
- Possible Probation up to 5 years
- Alcohol / Drug Screening & Classes
- Possible community service
- Pay for jail incarceration
- Possible monthly probation fees
- Possible SR22 insurance
- 1-year Ignition interlock (6 months beginning January 1, 2012)
What should I do if I'm arrested for a DUI?
- Always be civil with the officer
- When asked, respectfully provide your license, registration, and insurance. Refusal to do so will only make matters worse.
- Obey the Officer if asked to step out of your vehicle
- If the officer asks you if you have been drinking, invoke your 5th Amendment Right and immediately ask to speak to an attorney. Your 5th amendment right is the right to remain silent
- Politely refuse all field sobriety tests such as the eye test, the walk & turn, and the one leg stand
- When asked, refuse the preliminary breath test (PBT). The PBT is a small breath machine that is carried by officers that can be administered on the side of the road. Contrary to popular belief, your license cannot be suspended if you refuse the PBT.
Free legal consultationShould you find yourself in need of legal assistance after attending the Waste Management Open, the Law Office of Aaron Black will be available 24 hours a day.
Contact Phoenix, AZ Criminal, DUI Defense Attorney Aaron Black for a free legal consultation at (480)729-1683.