Arizona Police are Cracking Down on DUI over the Labor Day Weekend
The police will be looking for you all over the greater Phoenix area. However, focus will be on areas around the Salt River and Saguaro Lake, expecting many people to celebrate the holiday weekend on the water. Do not drink and drive. Do not drink and tube. Do not drink and boat.
In addition to the saturation patrols in Mesa and around the water, all other greater Phoenix area police departments will have their eyes on drivers this holiday weekend.
When searching for drunk drivers here are the top 20 signs the police are looking for
- Making wide radius turns
- Straddling the center of the lane marker
- "Appearing to be drunk"
- Almost striking an object
- Driving on other than designated highway
- Speed limit is more than 10mph below the speed limit
- Stopping for no reason in traffic
- Following other cars too closely
- Tires on lane marker
- Erratic Braking
- Driving into oncoming traffic
- Inconsistent signaling
- Slow response to traffic signals
- Stopping inappropriately
- Turning abruptly or illegally
- Accelerating of Decelerating rapidly
- Driving without headlights
Tips to follow if you get pulled over for suspicion of a DUI
If you are stopped by the police under suspicion of drinking and driving, follow the tips below. You will probably be arrested by the officer under the suspicion of drinking while driving if he can smell the odor of alcohol if he notices bloodshot and watery eyes or your voice was slurred, or he saw you swerve. I do not recommend helping him more by performing the tests.
Remember, no matter how smart or smooth you think you are, you will “never” talk yourself out of a DUI.
- Answer the police officer when he asks for your personal information and license
- If the officer asks any questions about you drinking be polite and ask for a lawyer and don’t answer further questions
- Comply when the officer asks you to get out of the car
- If the officer asks if he can look at your eyes or follow his pen, respectfully refuse the test and ask for your lawyer
- If the officer asks you to balance on one leg, again I encourage you to ask for your lawyer and respectfully refuse the test
- If the officer asks you to walk a straight line respectfully refuse the test and request your lawyer
- Last but not least the officer will ask you to blow into his portable breath machine (PBT). Politely refuse the test and ask for your lawyer
The best defense to a DUI is to not drink and drive. But, if you are arrested for a DUI in Phoenix over Labor Day weekend give Aaron Black a call or text at 480-729-1683 to start your defense. The office will be open all weekend!